Thursday 7 August 2014

Travel Diaries: Spinalonga


I'd never heard of Spinalonga before I had planned my trip to Crete and someone had recommended that I read "The Island' a book based around Spinalonga's history as a home to a Leper Colony. My sweet mum picked up a copy of the book for me and I packed it in my suitcase and started reading it the first day by the pool. I won't tell you what happens in the book but if you haven't read it you should pick up a copy! I was half way through 'The Island' when we took a boat trip out to Spinalonga, and it was magical to see the place where the story took place and imagine the scenes from the book. Spinalonga has so much more history to it than 'The Island' tells and our tour guide explained a lot of that too us, it dates back to 1526. I find it hard to believe such a small place could support and provide for so many people that lived there up until 1957. If you ever find yourself in Crete I would highly recommend taking a trip out to this fascinating Island it's filled with such beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for your comments, they always make me smile :)